Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nursery Rhymes

So, I know it's been a while. I've been busy. There's something about having 4 kids that keeps you on your toes =) Now on to the subject at hand...



Have you ever really paid much attention to nursery rhymes? I hadn't until I had kids and someone gave us a book of nursery rhymes when Evan came along. Some are ok and some are even kinda cute. But there are others that are down right creepy! I shall give examples ;)



The Queen of Hearts


The queen of hearts
she made some tarts,
all on a summers day.
The Knave of hearts,
he stole the tarts,
and took them clean away.
The King of hearts
called for the tarts,
and BEAT the Knave full sore.
The Knave of hearts
brought back the tarts,
and vowed he'd steal no more.

What was that?? A lesson about stealing!

Here's a classic you all know.

Rock-a-bye Baby

Rock-a-bye baby, on the tree top.
When the wind blows the cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall.
And down will come baby, cradle and all.

Horrible! Singing about a baby falling from a tree!?

And last but not least. This is the one that really caught my attention.

Goosey Goosey Gander

Goosey Goosey Gander, whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs and in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man who would not say his prayers,
I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs.

What were these people thinking when they wrote these so called nursery rhymes? These are just a few of the ones I found. I won't subject you to all of them. I'm waiting on the Christian Mother Goose book from my mom. I'm ready to start reading sweet sing-song story's to my kids again. Before oyu know it they'll all be too big and not want to listen to that.

And now I shall finish getting things together for our Fall Break camping trip. That's right! Aaron and I are taking Ethan and Levi camping while Katie and Evan hang out with my parents for 3 days. I AM SO EXCITED!!! I shall post pictures and tell you all about it sometime next week =) Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment